Updated: Mar 10, 2021
March is national kidney month, here is a fun trivia quiz! No Kidneying around!
TRUE OR FALSE:
1. Q: KIDNEYS ARE THE SAME SIZE?True or False?
False-kidney tends to be smaller on the right side bc it needs to make room for the liver
2. Q: WE ONLY NEED ONE KIDNEY TO LIVE? True or False?
True- we usually need 300,000 nephrons to filter the blood properly and each kidney has approx. 1.5 million nephrons
1. Q: HOW MANY GALLONS OF BLOOD ARE FILTERED IN OUR BODIES DAILY?
a) 6 gallons b) 1 gallon c) 45 gallons
Answer: 45 gallons
2. Q: THE WORLDS FIRST KNOWN DESCRIPTION OF THE KIDNEY WAS BY?
a) Italians b) Greeks c) Vikings d) Egyptians
Answer: Egytians-3500 years ago
3. Q: WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CAN HARM THE KIDNEY?
a) climate change b) pain medications like ibuprofen c) too much coffee d) dehydration e) all of the above
Answer: e- all of the above
4. Q: THE 1ST DIALYSIS WAS KNOWN TO HAPPEN BEGINNING OF WORLD WAR II AND INVENTED BY A DUTCH PHYSICIAN (WILLEMKOLFF -amazing man by the way- google it -saved many people from Nazi labour camps by hiding them in hospitals).
WHICH 3 OF THE FOLLOWING ITEMS DID HE USE TO MAKE THE FIRST DIALYSIS MACHINE:
a) orange juice b) sausage casing c) apple juice d) washing machine e) plastic bottles
Answer: a- orange juice b-sausage casing and d-washing machine
5. Q: ARE THERE SIMPLE AND INEXPENSIVE BLOOD TESTS THAT MY PHYSICIAN (ALLOPATHIC OR NATUROPATHIC) CAN DO TO ASSESS KIDNEY FUNCTION?
Answer- Yes. Serum Creatinine and GFR (glomerular filtration rate), are simple, inexpensive blood tests that can be done through your naturopathic or allopathic physician to help evaluate kidney function.
-From the desk of Anne Deni B.Sc. FdNu, Clinical Nutritionist